Every once in a while, I feel like I know what influenced a particular designer when they dreamed up a collection. I don’t know what it is (maybe it’s magic!), but there’s some rush in my brain of intuition, prior knowledge and…well, magic, that delivers the formula for clothes.
I’m 100% sure I’m wrong about the Prada Spring/Summer 2011 collection that showed last week. I’m not sure I care, especially because I can’t say I like the clothes. And though I haven’t done any research into Miuccia’s actual influences, here are the ones I dreamed up for her:
- Baroque Architecture, especially the gold wrought stuff that was everywhere (which is kind of a given)
- Mexican Art That Includes Monkeys (of which Frida Kahlo was the best example I could find)
- Sweeney Todd and Mrs Lovett’s day at the beach
- Proenza Schouler’s Spring/Summer 2010 collection
- Leg-o-Mutton sleeves
- Christopher Walken in a Hawaiian shirt*
Mix it all together, and voila: Prada Spring/Summer 2011! Maybe it really is magic.*I don’t know where Chris Walken came from, either. He just popped in my head while I was watching the show. If he took a lady friend to the beach, she would probably wear this collection.